South Kyme, an attractive Lincolnshire fenland village, lies about 10 miles northeast of the market town of Sleaford on the B1395 that runs north from the A17 towards the A153 at North Kyme.
A navigable river, the Kyme Eau, flows through the centre of the village becoming the River Slea as it flows upstream towards Sleaford. This was once a main trading route between Sleaford and the Port of Boston before the days of the railway and metalled roads. Annually during a May Bank Holiday weekend, narrowboat enthusiasts make the journey upstream from the River Witham to meet at the village for an annual festival.
The village has as its emblem, the Kingfisher. A fine wooden sculpture of a Kingfisher by Simon Todd stands at the centre of the village on the riverbank near the blacksmiths yard. On a site to the west of the village stands Kyme Tower for which the village is best known. Opposite the tower lies the Church of St Mary and All Saints. Last renovated during the Victorian era this fine old building is situated at the site of an Anglo Saxon priory c.1140. The only remnant of Philip de Kyme’s priory is it’s Norman arched doorway which can be seen inside the entrance porch.The village supports a thriving family run bar / restaurant, ‘The Hume' which serves fine food and a good selection of real ales. Why not try The Hume, High Street, South Kyme. Rooms are available at very competitive prices. At the eastern boundary of the village is South Kyme Golf Club, an 18 hole 6566 yard parkland course, which is popular with golfers of all levels for many miles around.